Countdown to Morgan's return

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Getting home after the game

I am really looking forward to tonight's game. Go Pirates--let's strike gold!

Could you help me get an explanation out to families from basketball and cheer? I know you have a lot of contact e-mails, so I am hoping you are willing to help me out with this.

Last night, after the boys won (hooray for us), there was a flurry of activity particularly from the cheer squad with parents upset about district transportation home after tonight's championship game. Suffice to say as of late last night, the pass conditions were clear and dry with a few wet spots (no ice or snow and yes, I was aware that there was the potential for snow tonight). I determined that we would send all students home on the district provided bus following tonight's game as we had planned all along (assuming pass conditions remained the same), but many parents evidently still were not happy with this decision. I handled several telephone calls from concerned parents and tried to come up with a solution that would work within the confines of district policy and procedure. I determined that if I could get releases from parents (faxed to the hotel), the students could stay at their own expense for an additional night and travel home with designated adult drivers.

This morning, when I got up, I immediately checked the pass conditions again and have continued to track them pretty much all day. Given that the storm had moved in and the pass conditions had changed significantly, I contacted Char Phillips and Ann Murray (district transportation director) to let them know that we may not be able to send the rooter bus and that we might need to send folks home tomorrow (Sunday). Dr. Lindquist called to express his best wishes to our boys' team for tonight's game and to follow up due to concerns expressed by Jake Jacobovitch and Donna Zaglin. I told him all of the steps I had taken and my plans for today as I tracked the conditions in the pass. He gave me his support to handle the situation and to offer assistance with funding if it was necessary to keep everyone here. I also went down to meet with the staff at the front desk of the hotel to make sure we would be able to stay an additional night. Around noon, I determined that we would be canceling the rooter bus and staying the additional night. I made arrangements with the hotel to make sure the district is charged for all of the student rooms, coaches rooms and support staff rooms (a total of 15 rooms) since we are unable to send them home this evening (none of our students who are part of our teams will need to pay for their rooms on Saturday night). I contacted Ann Murray, all of our coaches, Terry Lindquist and Jake to let them know the decision. I also updated the rooter bus information on the Web site. And, Dr. Lindquist was going to let Bob Hennessey know the decision as well.

The current plan is to send a small bus over tomorrow morning to pick up all students who need a ride home--currently, this includes only the girls' players as the cheerleaders have all made alternate arrangements. The bus will pick everyone up around noon tomorrow assuming we don't have additional weather related problems. Everyone who is riding home with parents or designated adult drivers will likely choose to leave when they feel it is appropriate to do so. I will be talking with Ann Murray again on Sunday morning to confirm the bus after checking the pass conditions. The hotel is also willing to work with us on the check out time if needed. I have posted an update on the VHS Web site regarding transportation.

I was a bit frustrated and saddened that some folks were so angry/upset/scared and also that they did not trust the decision-making process, but I understand and appreciate parent concerns regarding their children. Thankfully, several folks were empathetic with the situation. I am appreciative of those parents who have agreed to provide rides to the students with concerned parents. I am also appreciative of Dr. Lindquist's support. I hope this helps answer/clarify any questions/concerns about the decision-making process. And, I hope all have a safe trip home.

Sincerely,
Stephanie


Stephanie J. Spencer, Ed.D.
Assistant Principal and Athletic Director
Vashon Island High School

Telephone: 206 463 9171 ext. 518
Fax: 206 463 1944





Derek Wegner

No comments:

Post a Comment